Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Age and Gender Discrimination (Part I)


I had encountered this quite often. It’s seemed to be a practice of both sexes. It really depends on which side of the age or gender barrier is on. Some culture practice gender discrimination more than others plus is also fighting gender myths. The men don’t always notice it and sometime they even flatly deny that there is gender discrimination.

My first encounter of it was in my late 20’s. I was in charge of hiring for customer technical service team. I have already have been in engineering department since 17 and had been a lead designer. It was basically simple math problems and checking on years of experience.
First on my list was in her 40’s, lady that is still quick with math and mind. The other 3 was still under 30 and lack experiences. I really need someone more mature and have design experience beside me that help me when I’m not there. I presented my list and my reasoning behind it.

The acting manager of the branch office is son of the owner, 2 years younger and just out of college for very not long ago, he objected to the list. He claimed that 40 are too old to learn the new software. I couldn’t over-ride him on this. I ended up working 86 hours a week and the 7 day I was on call. I ended up working his customer projects as well as mine. He doesn’t check his construction of the parts before he does the designs. He goes and takes the customer out for lunch while I was working on his project. He comes in after jogging and ask how is things. He doesn’t do the training like he said he would, I did. He put in maybe 40 more or less hours. In the end he said I wasn’t doing enough after 5 months of this and I walked away. It took his mother and his younger brother to come to take care of it. His younger brother understood when he called for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment